Wednesday 1 June 2011

Little box....


I was so excited to be re united with this little box on Monday.....

I saw it a few months ago at an Antiques Fair where I hummed and hahhed....

Should I....shouldn't I ?

 Do I really need it?

Then I walked away....



Since then I have often thought about it and wished I had just bloomin' well bought it!
Not like me to be so indecisive....


But fate lent a hand at Gateshead Stadium Antique Fair on Monday, when  I asked the dealer if he still had it  and to my surprise he said YES!

Money exchanged hands swiftly and I am now the proud owner of.....



A Victorian kingfisher......a little raggy but I love him and his simple wooden box.


I know they are a bit of a "marmite" issue, but if Homes and Antiques are happy to run with them in their calender, then surely I am in good company......



Hope you all have an enjoyable week.
Julie x

A big hello to all my new followers and thank you to those who leave such kind comments.....they are very much appreciated!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Julie, how totally gorgeous. So glad you were able to take him home, Tam x

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is gorgeous Julie. I am with you on this one as I am rather partial to a bit of taxidermy, and I will admit to having a Leopard skin rug, getting on for a 100 years old I might add! I also have a Tortoise ashtray (although I don't smoke)and also a live one wandering round the house. Have a great day.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely! You can be proud about this find - a beautiful bird in a wonderful box!
    Greetings from the Périgord,
    karin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie, I think he's rather lovely.....I bid on a canary at auction the other day, but the bids went too high, very sad about that! I can tell you. Obviously meant to be yours xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your slow reveal....! Obviously destined for you - that's great - I've missed buying things, but rarely seen them again like that. Well done. I like the simple box. Abby x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! What a great find x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lady luck was certainly smiling on you! Oh, how many times have I been in doubt and left that little item behind always to kick myself. So pleased that your little bird is 'home to roost' and it's in the perfect place too :o)
    Best wishes
    Rose H

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I like them and think their facinating :) .. it looks wonderful with the shutters x

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I wouldn't want anyone to do this today, I do love these old ones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your kingfisher!!!! I would have bought him as well, he is wonderful!! Have a great week!
    Chris :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations - it really was meant to be! Like Abby, I like your slow reveal... :-) Gorgeous wooden box!

    Love,
    Helena

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful little thing to have finally become the owner of. I always think in these situations that you were meant to have it! You will enjoy it all the more because of the wait....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought you had bought a candle box when I saw the first picture, I was not expecting this little chap! I think he will look wonderful in your hallway, where all the light will show off his lovely coloured feathers.
    Abby x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see how you loved this little gem. It looks quite rare which is all the lovelier.
    Love your blog and I am enjoying reading you earlier posts
    Helen Tilston

    ReplyDelete
  15. How lovely that you got a second chance to buy the little Kingfisher, I love the box that he's in. Thankyou for your kind comments Julie, yes I am lucky that things have advanced in keyhole surgery. I don't think I could bear being stuck in hospital when the weather is so wonderful. Have a great weekend Julie, love Linda x

    ReplyDelete