Wednesday 24 August 2011

Local pressed glass.......


The North East of England was a great producer of pressed glass in the 19th and 20th centuries as a cheap alternative to blown glass. Semi molten glass was poured into metal moulds, which when cooled, took up the pattern detail.
These glass plates with "Give us this day our daily bread" were made by George Davidson in the 19th century.



The tiny plate has the raised impressed Davidson lion mark which was used around 1880's....hard to see in the daisy pattern but easily felt by running a finger over the surface.
So many registered numbers and makers marks can be missed by relying solely on eye....
Always, always... feel.... good for spotting chips too!



Quite a little cutie....

As is the tiny glass chamber stick with the words "good night ".....




I had a great weekend at the Summer Fair @ Hexham......the big blue dresser sold and is now doing service in a new kitchen with a very high ceiling, the cushion collection depleted and my re-covered Georgian chairs have gone to lovely new homes.
A big thank you to all my customers.....

So, now the re-stocking for Bank Holiday Monday at New College, Durham begins...pressed glass and pretties I think....

Hope you all have a nice BH weekend.

Julie x

15 comments:

  1. Sitting bathing in pressed glass heaven thanks to your post.............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the little candle holder.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen pressed glass like this before, I particularly love the candle holder. Glad to hear you did well at the fair...I knew the dresser would sell, it was gorgeous.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky person with the dresser! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like I have got a lot of catching up to do.... you have been busy!
    You always have a wonderful selection of pressed glass Julie. And I agree, a good feel before purchase always pays off! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not surprised you sold so well, as all your stock is sublime.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such great taste, Julie . . . always LOVE hearing from you. Best wishes,

    Debi @ Ormolulu

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have inherited some pressed glass from both English and Norwegian sides of the families but I have never seen anything like these plates.
    Most of my glass is trying hard to be crystal and is probably not as old as your pieces but I love them for their affection value.
    How lovely, Julie, that your dresser and chairs have gone to good homes.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you did so well at Hexham ..... lovely pressed glass and we don't see so much of the clear with writing on down this way. I have been gathering quite a bit of coloured glass from Sowerby, Davidson etc ... I am drawn to it because one of the few things I rescued from my old nan's house was her green glass dressing table set. Thanks for popping by my blog .... Lilian Rules OK xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pressed glass is absolutely beautiful and it holds and captures my attention. Don't you love when the sunlight catches it? I have a few pieces of depression glass (USA) - again beautiful
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a few of those pressed glass plates up in my loft, they were my grandmothers, they have King George on them I think, can't say I really liked them before but I do love your charming ones.. Glad that lovely dresser went to a good home x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never seen this type of pressed glass in Alaska. It's very pretty, I really love the tea cup and saucer.
    Chris :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These glass plates are wonderful I've never seen any like that here. (I collect American depression glass.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What pretties! Love the little chamberstick! Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you have a date on the chamber stick please? Here it is in blue.

    http://tinyurl.com/nszll8y

    ReplyDelete